Thursday, July 1, 2010

Where Best To Be Poor

Walter Williams wrote this recently, on a topic my brother and I often discuss. He's traveled to places where he's seen real poverty. Me, I read a lot. I study culture, places where right now people live on less than $2 a day, where mothers watch their children starve to death in their arms or die from illnesses that medications costing pennies could cure. I read history, women's diaries from the wagon trails of early American westward expansion, the stories of people during the Dust Bowl and Great Depression, when people starved to death. I collect old cookbooks and read about what people cooked and ate one, two, three and more centuries ago, read the worries and efforts that go into food preservation and making it through the winter.

What people call poor here... sometimes we just shake our heads in absolute amazement at how Americans define poor. We were also discussing prepping the other day. A lot of people don't because they cannot imagine not being able to hit the grocery store or Walmart and find whatever they need there on the shelves. Just in time delivery, however, is a fragile system to rely on in our uncertain times. There's so much that can disrupt it -- a collapse in short term credit (during which deliveries have to be paid for in cash, instead of put on account), a fuel shortage, etc. and so on.

I've been prowling books from the late 1800's and early 1900's lately. Some fascinating reading, particularly concerning the aims of the compulsory education movement. Eugenicists of the day were quite pleased with its potentials. And, looking around today, I see exactly why.

Listened to some Ron Paul this afternoon. Campaign for Liberty is being targeted by the federal government, because I guess it is now illegal in some way to, during an election year, tell the public how politicians vote on issues and discuss politicians positions on the myriad of issues we face today.

More talk of a civilian force from Obama, supposedly to relieve the burden of the military in our illegal foreign occupations.

No wonder history calls me so strongly lately. The present seems... very ugly indeed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This subject is something I think about very often. It's a terrifying prospect, particularly when children are involved. I, however, based on our current trajectory, culturally, fiscally, ethically, morally, etc. believe collapse is inevitable. I'm not ready. I currently work 80 plus hours per week just to survive. I have no time to prepare for what lies ahead, even though I know it's coming. I have neither the time, resources, nor familial cooperation to prepare, and I'm not alone. I'll probably be one of the first casualties, as will be others who dwell in one the many concrete jungles of this nation. As Americans, we have long-held notions concerning our innate right to prosperity. Our hubris is like a cancer that has spread to all of our vital organs. Unfortunately, I don't think the political calculus is present for a radical heart conversion in this country, and as such, we shall reap what we sow. We are in for a rude awakening. There will be sorrow, pain, and death. My heart trembles for my 7 year old nephew, in all of his innocence and beauty. After the collapse, I just hope those wise and able enough to have prepared will construct a better way of life compared to what has been handed to us by the current class of political myopics and those of us that have enabled their deception....