Sunday, July 13, 2008

Confidence


A lot of things large and small don't inspire me to confidence.

A small thing... the Apple IPhone. My kind and generous neighbor -- the one who, barely knowing me, let me use his Internet connection when he was away -- has been here twice in the past three days because his IPhone crashed and he needed to use something or other of my brother's to bring it back. I'm not buying all the market hype about how good it is... from what I've sen, I am not inspired to confidence.

IndyMac crash and burn... Wow, the second largest bank failure in US history. Doesn't inspire much confidencia in the official it's gonna be fine economic reports from the government, now does it?

The dollar sinking doesn't inspire much confidence in the future in terms of food for the world. Speculators and investors, looking for a safe place to put their money are shifting into commodities and one of those commodities is food. That is helping to push prices higher and higher and helping to push people into hunger.

Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac... the protestations that fears of a crash are easing do not inspire confidence. After all, what else are they going to say?

And the list goes on...

But does that mean I have little confidence in the future? No. Not at all.

That's because I am working towards having as many aspects of my future as possible under my own control.

Alternative energy -- solar, wind, methane, ethanol -- are on my list, as are water cachement and food production. I know how to do a lot of stuff. I can cook, sew, am knowledgeable about herbal and alternative medicine, I understand nutrition... and the list goes on. I've cultivated many of the skills necessary to reduce my dependence on external resources and I continue learning every day.

And, that inspires great confidence in the face of the clearly visible socio-economic challenges on the horizon.

No comments: