Monday, July 14, 2008

The Best Laid Plans....


So, I didn't rise with the sun this morning as I'd planned. I had high hopes, but it just didn't work out that way. I was awake, but every time I tried to move my still nursing baby would wrap her arms around me for a few sleepy sips and snuggles, and then, naturally, all warm and cuddly, I dozed... That I was up crazy late last night didn't help either, of course... but I did accomplish stuff.

A super-cool thing happened over the weekend, but I don't want to hex it by talking about it before it is a definite. What I will say is that it is a much desired editing gig that could evolve into an even more desired writing gig.

But, even with my late rising, I'm moving right along and getting things done. Hit one of the day's deadlines already and, when done here, I'm heading for another... the economic news is full of suspense and drama these days. Lots to write about.

Reuters is reporting that, unsurprisingly, " IndyMac Bancorp Inc customers lined up outside a branch at the company's headquarters on Monday, hoping to withdraw their money after regulators seized what was once one of the largest mortgage lenders in the United States." According to the story, there were hundreds of people there at 4 AM, hours before the usual opening time. The LA Times says that "home equity lines of credit issued by the bank would be frozen pending a review of each account."

So much for earlier reports that indicated most customers would experience the failure as a non-event, because it wouldn't have any real, direct affect on their finances.

Early reports indicate that the rally on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac stocks was but a moment, the stocks are struggling despite government rescue plans.

Yep, times get more interesting every day.

No comments: