Monday, April 21, 2008

America and The Food Crisis

I've been watching the food crisis edge its way into mainstream news for a couple few weeks now. I even saw the use of the phrase "peak food" enter the MSN lexicon. However, this story in the New York Sun came as a bit of a surprise to me.

Excerpt:

Food Rationing Confronts Breadbasket of the World

MOUNTAIN VIEW, Calif. — Many parts of America, long considered the breadbasket of the world, are now confronting a once unthinkable phenomenon: food rationing. Major retailers in New York, in areas of New England, and on the West Coast are limiting purchases of flour, rice, and cooking oil as demand outstrips supply. There are also anecdotal reports that some consumers are hoarding grain stocks.


I tell you, I'm sure we made the right move at the right time. To me, after watching the global economy for a few years now, as well as the associated socio-political factors, it looks like we are headed into another depression... a writer, one whose name I can't recall right now, used the apt phrase The Greater Depression. That's what really inspired me to make this move, to tell the truth. I wanted to be sure that we would have space to grow food and a means of providing ourselves with energy... basically, my goal is self-sufficiency to the highest degree, because I think we're going to need it.

And with that, I must be off... I am -- thank God -- drowning in deadlines.

No comments: