Tuesday, September 25, 2007

We Refuse To Allow His Personal Information To Be Given To Recruiters, My Son Is Now Officially Blacklisted By His School

His father and I both agree -- we do not want my son's personal information turned over to military recruiters. The punishment for that was announced via form letter. See excerpt:

"Dear Parents/Guardians of Juniors and Seniors:

Congress has passed two major pieces of legislation that require local education agencies (high schools) receiving assistance under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 to give military recruiters the same access to secondary school students as they provide to post secondary institutions or to prospective employers. Local education agencies are also required to provide students' names, addresses, and telephone listings to military recruiters, and higher education learning when requested.

Under FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act), this letter provides notice to you of the types of student information that it releases publicly. This type of student information, commonly referred to as "directory information," includes the students' names, the names of the student's parents/guardians, the student's address, the student's date of birth and telephone numbers and is information generally not considered harmful or an invasion of privacy if disclosed. If you chose not to participate, your child's name will also not be able to appear in anything associated with this school such as the graduation program, honor roll list, sports programs and the annual yearbook."

That means that my son, a frequent honor roll student, will not be able to be listed. If he does something noteworthy, the school newspaper cannot mention him. He may not be allowed to participate in graduation ceremonies. This is wrong on many levels.

I rarely make such a request, but I am hoping that you will take a couple of minutes to send an e-mail to his principal, Ms. Blowers, blowersm@bpcsd.org , and his school superintendent, Ms. Rojek, rojeks@bpcsd.org , and express your opinion on this matter.

I'd like thank those who do take the time to e-mail in advance for their time and effort. I do appreciate it.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is yet another reinforcement in my choice to homeschool.

Anonymous said...

You asked us to send a short note to the principal and her supervisor...

Tasty comments they were!

You're welcome!

Any time!

;-)

Anonymous said...

Is there any way to get a copy of that letter?

Christ Davis said...

I wrote a letter, too. I found your site through Strike the Root only today, so I haven't had a chance to read through the rest of your postings yet. I'll likely comment again, though.

work for peace

Alice Lillie said...

Sharon -

Way to go. Hang in there.

Upstate NY? I was born and raised near beautiful Keuka Lake myself, and am now a staunch libertarian and supporter of Lew Rockwell and the Mises Institute.

Must be the water.

Please see my own blog at http://www.alicelillieandher.blogspot.com