Wednesday, April 6, 2005

Oh, The Adventures I've Had...


... crazy deadlines, an end of winter cold-plague sickness that tore through the house and knocked us flat, followed by an infected tooth, face distorted by infection, swollen almost up to my cheek-bone, so much so that my speech was affected -- slurry... spring rains and snow melt brought the river to my porch and basement, a midnight flood evacuation by boat with the assistance of the local fire department... still no hot water (basement, thus hot water heater, was totally flooded -- water a couple feet from its top), landlord should be here today... and, of course, in light of all this, I'm 20 short articles and a book review behind... to say nothing of next week's Morality in Media column and the cook book I really want to put together and publish this year (seeing as I didn't do it last year as I'd wanted) and the other projects piled on the floor by my desk and floating around in my mind....

And, let me add a big Thank You to my friend who delivered much needed anti-biotics to me during the flood... He stopped to check on us, we weren't at evacuation level yet, and when I said I need anti-biotics, he was back within the hour with the coveted modern Western medicine -- pharmaceutical antibiotics, ampicillian. The same friend who, last week, dropped off 20 pounds of Basmati rice -- which is, by the way, the best rice in the world -- some platanos and about a pound of fresh ginger root. The ginger root came in quite handy with my mouth situation. Ginger is an antibiotic, etc., and very useful for that sort of thing. (As is salt, garlic, Listerine and peroxide)

Well, I must collect my thoughts and organize my day. Much work to be done, a slight swelling still to be dealt with...

Until Next Time...

No comments: