Tuesday, March 22, 2005

I'm reading...

...my favorite "I feel miserable" novel (and, we won't discuss just how many times I've read it!). It has to rank in my top five, probably top three, all-time favorite novels. It's pure perfection inspired me to return to my childhood dream/goal of being a writer. It's a multi-level novel -- entertaining and fabulously philosophical. Thank you Tom Robbins for Jitterbug Perfume. It never fails to bring me up when I'm down.

An excerpt is in order:

The gods have a great sense of humor, don't they? If you lack the iron and the fizz to take control of your own life, if you insist on leaving your fate to the gods, then the gods will repay your weakness by having a grin or two at your expense.


And, one more, for now:

(Alobar commenting on Buddist teachings, those learned after 20 years with the monks)
"Here they teach that much of existence amounts only to misery; that misery is caused by desire; therefore, if desire is eliminated, then misery will be eliminated. Now, that is true enough, as far as it goes. There is plenty of misery in the world, all right, but there is ample pleasure, as well. If a person foreswears pleasure in order to avoid misery, what has he gained? A life with neither misery nor pleasure is an empty, neutral existence, and, indeed, it is the nothingness of the void that is the lamas' final objective. To actively seek nothingness is worse than defeat; why, Kudra, it is surrender; craven, chickenhearted, dishonorable surrender. Poor little babies are so afraid of pain that they spurn the myriad sweet wonders of life so they might protect themselves from hurt. How can you respect this sort of weakness, how can you admire a human who consciously embraces the bland, the mediocre, and the safe rather than risk the suffering that disappointments can bring?"


Amen, brother!!

Did I mention that perfume is one of my favorite things on earth... that and quality incense, and all other good smelling stuff. Right now, Samara by Guerlain of Paris is my thing. When the perfume first came out years ago, I was, of course (being the happy Hindu that I am), attracted by the name, a Hindu concept, which refers to the cycle of birth, death and rebirth. I was very pleased to find out that not only was the name pleasing to me, but the scent as well.

I've always had a perfume thing, since way back in 3rd grade the crossing guard gave my sister and I small bottles of perfume at Christmas time for being such well-behaved little girls. I was an avid collector from then on. I loved Avon as a child and teen -- affordable and so many beautifully shaped bottles. And the names... I remember Moon Wind. I loved the name, but the perfume itself... I wanted to like it so much, but I just couldn't. Which is why I was so glad that the quality of Samsara's scent matched that of it's name.

When I can't afford good perfume (once you've entered the zone of 'good' perfume, there's no going back to the cheap, alcohol-ly smelling ones), I like to make my own with essential oils I buy in quantities from the Jamacians (those from big cities, such as NYC have seen them plying their wares -- oils and incense -- by the subways and on the streets. I do this thing with amber and a touch of musk... mmmm. People stop me in the street to ask me about it. I keep it in a lovely, handblown, Egyptian glass perfume bottle with a glass stopper and dipping stem (forgot the right words for that thingy...)

Until Next Time...

1 comment:

jomama said...

Double amen, brother.