Friday, March 11, 2005

I Just Can't Stand It...

... my stupid (insert favorite and most forceful pejorative here) furnace has went out. It was 15 degrees last night. We are cold. And while, normally, I appreciate a landlord that never comes around (I can live with the leaky faucet, just don't bother me!), I have yet to reach this man. Though, it is early yet...

I must say, however, that the formerly downstairs now upstairs neighbor was very kind. Through an unfortunate set of circumstances, the fuse box for this apartment is in the front hall of the upstairs apartment. Last night -- or more properly put, in the wee, cold hours before dawn -- when the heat went out, I plugged in space heaters, which flipped the switch. Fortunately, I've got one of those industrial size extension cords and could run one space heater from a plug still working in the livingroom for our bedroom. But, being fire paranoid, I couldn't sleep with it on. So, the girls and I snuggled close like we do every night. So, anyway, when I went up to ask her (he's at work) to flip the switches for me, I mentioned the furnace (hoping they'd had problems with it before and would know the secret knock or patterns of kicks to get it started again...) and she offered me two space heaters, which I accepted gratefully.

I have major deadlines, and -- due to moving (still unpacking!) -- am behind in everything. I hate to be cold above all else. It makes me dysfunctional. Miserable. Very unhappy. Next to impossible to write like that... I do not need this right now.

No comments: