Wednesday, February 18, 2004

O.K. people... I am very upset today. Since I did that first piece on child protective services, I started paying attention to the real deal. I set up news alerts with various news organizations. So, now, every day -- yes EVERY DAY -- I get at least one, usually more, report of a child dead or severely injured at the hands of the state care provider with which they live.

In the very beginning of my study of this topic, I tread carefully. I thought that the numbers I was reading couldn't possibly be true, that they were the result of disgruntled parents or statistics inflated by advocacy groups to advance their causes.

But, I'm telling you right now that there is a real problem out there. EVERY SINGLE DAY a child supposedly protected by the state dies or is severely beaten or raped or not fed.... That is the simple fact. Get your own damn news alerts!! Read them, watch the numbers of the dead and brutalized grow higher each and every day, and please, please, please write, call, visit your so-called political representatives.

I hate this. In one way, I don't even want to do this blog-thing any more, because how can I not write about this shit when it happens every day. I can't not write about it... can you imagine me writing some happy shit -- oh, writing is good, sold another article today, my kids are great, they did the cutest thing ...blah blah blah -- while every day, another child dies under the cold care of the state??

And, on the other hand, I want to start a new blog, similar to the Blog of Death, but devote it to writing daily about each child dead in foster care.

I don't know what I'm going to do at this moment, but I do know this:

YET ANOTHER BABY THAT SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN IN THE SYSTEM DIES IN FOSTER CARE

And that's all I have to say right now.

Every Day....

No comments: