Friday, December 26, 2003

Hola...

I read an interesting piece in the Washington Post the other day, written by Dana Milbank, headlined White House Web Scrubbing.
Milbank wrote that " it's not quite Soviet-style airbrushing, but the Bush administration has been using cyberspace to make some of its own cosmetic touch-ups to history."

Some of the examples she cited included adjusting the original headline on the White House Web site from May 1, "President Bush Announces Combat Operations in Iraq Have Ended", to reflect the ongoing instability of the situation and continued deaths of soldiers. The word "Major" is now placed before combat.

Also mentioned was an incident stemming from the administration being less than pleased with the comments of Andrew S. Natsios, administrator of the U.S. Agency for International Development. According to Natsios, we would not be paying more than $1.7 billion to rebuild Iraq. That, however, is a huge underestimation of the true and still climbing cost to tax-payers. According to Milbank, "the government has purged the offending comments by Natsios from the agency's web site. The transcript, and links to it, have vanished."

It is things like this and so many others related to the lead-up to this war and the war itself that are just so frustrating. To make a decision on whether or not to support the effort, or whether to demand an end to it now, we need real facts. Yet, what we have -- from weapons of mass destruction to the Jessica Lynch story (and, I admit it, I cried like a baby when she was "rescued" and when I saw Shoshauna returned as well) to "capture" of Sadaam -- is distorted and often staight-up dishonest news coverage. What can you trust to be true?

Are there mass graves totaling almost a million dead? If so, then surely we can't stand by and watch. Of course, that makes one wonder why the world watched the Rowandan slaughter without any real action... but, I guess that shall be a question for another day.

I finished another installment of my serialized historical fiction project. I would have hit deadline if I was standing just on the other side of Greenwich Meridian... I turned it in to my editor at 11am on Christmas, hoping beyond hope that she lives closer to the West Coast than I do. It will be published in a couple hours.

And, so... on to the next deadline.

No comments: